13.11.11

wholewheat pecan pancakes w. fresh figs & maple butter.
nagayo.
evening light.

Oh guys. Guys. You give terrible advice. Y'all got all excited - woo the love interest! drool on your second date! - and forgot one crucial point.

Life is awkward.

This probably isn't the best philosophy around, I recognise that, but it's pretty accurate. Talking all night in Japanese? Arm-touching? Using the polite form out of habit and being corrected to the familiar form? Awesome! Encouraging! Promising! 

Trying to initiate texting the next day? AWKWARD. 

Getting a very polite, kinda generic text back? AWKWARD. 

And okay, maybe this is because I didn't drool, you never know (although I did drop some sashimi in the soy sauce dish and couldn't pick it up for about ten minutes, because I can't use chopsticks after a drink -or before a drink, to be honest- and eventually had to shriek-giggle, 'minaide!' ('don't look!') and pick it out with my fingers. NICE).

Whatever, whatever. Life is awkward, but it's also short (and cliched, apparently), so it's pretty much worth a shot. And, you know, in the meantime there are pancakes to be made, and episodes of Glee to watch (THIS WEEK'S EPISODE, OMG SO GOOD. MY BOYS <3), and poles to dance around in nightclubs after a few too many tequila shots to the toast, 'no regrets!' (yeah, I don't know how that one came about). So perhaps it's better not to think too far ahead and just to take things as they come? 

Right now? Pancakes for one. The other thing about life is that it totally has compensations.

Whole-wheat Pecan Pancakes (for one), with Fresh Figs & Maple Butter

40g (1/3c.) whole-wheat flour
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
1/4 tsp baking powder
20g (1/4c. when whole) pecans, finely chopped
60ml (1/4c.) soy milk
60ml (1/4c.) water
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 Tbsp maple syrup
vegetable oil for pan

Whisk together the first four (dry) ingredients, but reserve a few pecans. In a small bowl, combine the wet ingredients. Add the wet mixture to the dry with a spatula until combined.

Heat a little oil in a nonstick frying pan (mine was not nonstick. I have since invested). When it's hot, add the batter to the pan, approximately 1/4c. of batter per pancake. You know how to make pancakes, guys. Flip it when bubbles appear on the top side, and it's golden-brown, a few minutes on each side.

You should have four pancakes! Stack them up with sliced fresh fig and maple butter if you can get it (maple syrup would also be awesome, obviously). Sprinkle the remaining chopped pecans over the top before eating. Hell yeah.

6 comments

  1. Alright. I think you should have drooled. BUT, that being said, it doesn't always work. And you know what? When I met 2.0, it felt like coming home. I called my sister immediately, and she claims that I said: he was awesome. I just want to take him home and bake for him.

    Did you want to bake for this person? It's my new metre stick.

    (Oh, and I'm making pancakes for breakfast this morning.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My advice.

    The issue is texting is a horrible thing. I mean who do you know who can say anything that special in 160 characters? I spend my life either sending people texts that are about 500 characters long (minimum) or texts with no kisses that say a direct message. 80% of people who text this 'hi how are you' rubbish do not get a reply from me(unless we have not spoken for months) BECAUSE quite frankly i'm fine and I do not really care if you are and I most definitely cannot be bothered to ask. I'm not anti social its just the truth...

    So what I am trying to say is this annoying generic awkward text world you speak of I avoid and I think you should too. If you do not want to receive a generic text do not send one. BE CREATIVE, let them know if something made you think of them, or if something funny happened, text them about something you've already spoken about. AND BE CHARMING - if you need help with that I can always help :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. movita beaucoup - I have already baked! The brownies were my opening, I'm just having trouble getting past the doorway. Although I don't know if this proves much because I can't meet anyone without going, 'SO, what food do YOU like?!' so I can make it for them... I JUST WANT PEOPLE TO LIKE ME OKAY.

    Bex - I know of what you speak, my dear. But it is particularly difficult to be creative in a second language. SADFACE. I am trying! I will email!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seriously believe that texting is the single most awkward form of communication that life has to offer. Somehow every form of context or hint of meaning is lost when the message is sent through a cell phone. My advice--switch to smoke signals, or perhaps carrier pigeons.

    Oh, and kudos on your Japanese skills! Did you learn any before moving there, or have you been picking it up since you've arrived?

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love your photography that maple butter looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Koci - I went to a Japanese class once a week at uni for a while, but learned precisely nothing in it; I learned more in my first three months here than I did that whole time. Studying a lot at the moment, so I'll hopefully keep making progress! ^__^

    ReplyDelete

© papillon.Maira Gall