10.4.14

EAT: 'Beauty & the Beast' Cupcakes.



The rose she had offered was truly an enchanted rose, which would bloom until his 21st year. If he could learn to love another, and earn her love in return by the time the last petal fell, then the spell would be broken.
[Disney’s Beauty and the Beast, 1991]

Number two in my line of Disney-inspired cupcakes (see Mulan here); Belle has always been my favourite princess so I was super excited for this one! I wanted to use flavours that drew on French patisserie - pricey vanilla paste for a rich flavour, hella salted caramel, and this light-as-air whipped frosting with a homemade hazelnut praline paste folded in.
The idea for the frosting comes from a Filbert Gateau in Great Cakes by Carol Walter; that one uses a Swiss buttercream (the sort that uses egg whites and comes out super silky; for the record, while I love how they look, Swiss buttercreams always taste kind of like bath foam to me). Instead I used a cooked flour frosting and used full fat coconut milk to boost the richness and make it vegan; you don’t taste the coconut at all in the finished cake. Hooboy I could eat this frosting by the spoonful.
I have very strong feelings about the stained glass window sequence at the start of Beauty and the Beast, so the sheet of hazelnut praline was a little nod to that - it didn’t really come out as a sheet so much as a clump, but whatevs). The rose petals are, of course, a reference to the enchanted rose in the story, so I had to paint them with edible gold. These flavours were killer together, so I was super happy that they also came out looking just as I’d imagined.
Recipe to come!

No comments

Post a Comment

© papillon.Maira Gall