6.11.13

CREATE: Remember, Remember.









Remember, remember, the Fifth of November…
I cannot even tell you how much fun I had playing around with focus while shooting these. And that’s with aching arms (my sister won’t be seen with me if I take my tripod out) and resisting the urge to Photoshop a Dark Mark into gif #4.
I feel like people outside of the UK don’t really get Bonfire Night, outside of V for Vendetta. I tried to explain Guy Fawkes and the Gunpowder Plot to my students last year when I was teaching in Japan, and they were all, ‘Wait, so… you’re celebrating… terrorism?’. I’m like, 'No, no, we’re celebrating that it was avoided!’
'Ah! Well, that’s okay.’
'Also we make a life-sized model of the terrorist out of clothes and newspapers and then we burn him on huge fires.’
My students, I swear to god, never know when I’m joking. They eye each other nervously.
'Anna-sensei is so funny?’ says one, hopefully.
'No… no, that’s a real thing…’
Their smiles become rather fixed. I’m like; now that you mention it, that IS a bit weird and scary! Who knew?
Welcome to British culture, everybody.

No comments

Post a Comment

© papillon.Maira Gall